What is the Liebster Award?
“Liebster” is a German word meaning beloved or dearest. In the blogging world, the Liebster Award is online recognition given by bloggers to other new bloggers for enjoying or valuing their work. It is meant to highlight and credit favorite new up and coming blogs within our writing community.
1. Acknowledge the blog who nominated you and display the award.
2. Answer the 11 questions the blogger gives you.
3. Give 11 random facts about yourself.
4. Nominate 11 blogs
5. Notify those blogs of the nomination.
6. Give them 11 questions to answer.
So, here I am thanking Robin from The Robin’s Nest once again for another award nomination! Robin loves home and farm life, food and décor amongst other things, but her first love is her family, and with every post she writes you can feel her friendliness, warmth and heart exuding out of every sentence. She is quickly building up quite a respectable following over at the Robin’s Nest, which is a testament to the heart and soul she pours into all of her work. I highly recommend checking her blog out and giving it a follow – a visit there always feels like coming home for a visit!
- What is your favorite movie? I have soooo many! I’m a movie lover and hoarder. I’ll try to narrow it down somewhat with just a few of my tops though – Lord of the Rings, Top Gun, Bridget Jones, The Last of the Mohicans, Superbad, Elizabethtown, Pride and Prejudice, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, P.S. I Love You…
- Where was your last, best vacation? My last ‘real’ vacation was Bucerias, in Mexico (just a hop, skip and jump from Puerto Vallarta). I spent two blissful weeks crashing with my parents at the beachside house they had there. The best vacation I ever had was the same place, the Christmas that my entire family spent there together (there were 11 of us then, and we had rented a place big enough to sleep us all!).
- Who is your favorite author and why? Laugh at me all you want – Robert Ludlum. I adore the Bourne series. When I saw what they had done with the story in the movies I was so angry I was yelling at my television screen.
- What is your most prized possession? I have a lot of stuff. Though I enjoy it, I don’t put a lot of value in stuff. I do have a small, cylindrical shaped decoration of glass, with dried flowers encased within. It was a birthday gift from my friend Suzanne on my 5th birthday. Her dad’s company made it. Since it holds the record for longevity (me having owned it for roughly 32 years), I suppose I could use it.
- Pets – Cat or Dog? I have an 80 pound Rottweiler/shepherd x lap dog named Dex ❤
- What is the most delicious food you have ever eaten? The most delicious food I have ever eaten… I have two picks! I don’t know the exact name of it, but I had the most amazing seafood casserole ever in Montreal, and on my 30th birthday my friend (from Montreal – coincidence?) spent over a week preparing the most amazing, mouth watering cassoulet ever. It was from the ‘ad hoc at Home’ cookbook, and the duck confit was what took the week or longer to make.
- What is your favorite quote and by whom? I have so many! But one of my all time faves and sort of a weird pick – it just makes me warm and tingly inside – is from John Cusack’s character in High Fidelity: “It’s a mystery of human chemistry and I don’t understand it. Some people, as far as your sense are concerned, just feel like home.”
- If you could go back in time and tell yourself something when you were at school, what would it be? To listen to my mother and save my blasted money.
- What is number 1 on your bucket list? To travel to the South Pacific. Or run a full – I’ve already done a half – marathon (the full 40+ kilometres… 26.2 miles to those of you not on the metric system). They both feel just as feasible as the other some days 😉
- What is your favorite topic to write/blog about? Anything that I think might help someone.
- If you were granted three wishes what would they be? To not have to worry about money again – ever. To be a published writer. For people to stop hurting each other.
11 Random Facts About Me:
- I adore Bryan Adams. Whenever anyone would ask what concert I wanted to see, to their frustration I would always say Bryan Adams ‘Reckless’ tour, knowing full well it happened when I was oh, about 5 or so. And then 2 1/2 years ago my friend (fairly new; not once had we ever discussed music) called me up and said she had three tickets for Bryan Adams ‘Reckless’ 30th anniversary tour, she ‘knows it’s embarrassing’, but would I come with her? Yeah, she’s my best friend now <3. It was everything I dreamed it would be and more ❤
- When anyone tells me I ‘look like’ someone, I respond, ‘No. They look like me’.
- My first ‘real’ job was working labour on the pipeline.
- I found myself on the internet in an online hunting and fishing magazine by accident. Muskie Huntress, who I now follow on Instagram, asked if she could post my pic on her page. I said sure, it was a women’s fishing page (and not the nudie type). I much later forgot what page she had posted it to and reverse image searched the photo to tell me what her ig page was again. It led to finding my photo in Wide Open Spaces.
- I grew an inch in my late 20’s. I used to be 5″2. I now stand up at a lofty 5″3.
- I just finished eating California rolls for dinner.
- My first time eating guacamole was a doozy. I was 19 and didn’t want to get it but my friends did, so I succumbed and we got a to share plate of nachos and guac (restaurant nachos are such a rip-off, fyi) at a Moxie’s in downtown Calgary. It came out and there was a huge pile of green stuff which looked nasty, but I’ll try anything, so loaded up my chip with the most guacamole ever fit on one nacho, tossed the whole thing in my mouth and started to chew. It burned. Bad. It felt like lightning was hitting my head from all directions at once. I was almost in tears. The wait staff did not know the difference between guacamole and wasabi. So that was my first time eating wasabi.
- I can drive stick/standard transmission.
- I have a violent temper. But good luck setting it off.
- My friends, coworkers and family think I am lucky. If there is a deal to be had, I will get it. If something is marked full price it will ring up on sale at the till. My fave clothing store will sometimes sell me things 2 for 1 when I can’t choose between two items. I win things. A lot. But my luck only ever extends to small/middle of the road merchandise, never to big ticket items or money.
- It wasn’t until I was 5, going on 6, that I realized my real name was Amanda.
Just a few picks
- Maria at Life, Family, Good Food
- Melanie at Intentergy
- Gabe at (Almost) Unsalvageable
- Learning To Save
- Odd Dad
Mandy’s 11 Questions:
- Who is your favourite superhero and why?
- Who was your celebrity crush growing up? Who is it now?
- How are you different in real life from how you are on your blog?
- Would you consider yourself an expert in/on anything?
- What is your favourite activity?
- Music – what is your favourite a) guilty pleasure song b) getting ‘pumped up’ song c) sad listening song?
- What is your favourite household chore?
- What is your proudest achievement?
- What is your best feature?
- What time do you wake up every day?
- What is the last thing that made you smile?