My pet peeve list. Yes, it’s random. Because? Why not. I apologize in advance for the attitude – I have my moments!
Some you may agree with, some you may disagree with, some you may find funny or weird, some you may find appalling or offensive. Feel free to agree, disagree and add away with yours in the comments!
- Fad slang. “Inspo” “Fitspo” “Bae” “Fleek” “Snatched”. It makes me cringe for some reason. I do have a soft spot for ‘lit’ however.
- Bad manners. Please and thank you’s and door holding never go out of vogue.
- Sloppy card decks. Never play a game of cards with me. I spend the entire time adjusting and fidgeting with the pile until it is neatly stacked. The entire time.
- Arbitrary rules. There are too many unnecessary, nonsensical and questionable ones out there to even begin picking at examples.
- Bad tippers. The minimum wage for servers is lower than for everyone else; it is expected that they will earn tips and they are required to declare such. If the food is bad, it is not their fault. They may tip pool with underpaid bussing and hostessing staff who otherwise would not get tips. Unless the service is not worthy of a tip, I leave 20% and will not go out unless I can afford to do so. When I was younger I would even order something less expensive on the menu or forego the extra glass of wine or dessert just so that I could leave a tip. When I see people not tipping or tipping well I always wonder if it is just due to lack of knowledge on the matter, if they are cheap, or just ignorant. If you can afford to eat out at a nice restaurant you can afford to tip.
- Bullies. No explanation required.
- Going to grab a snack, ingredient or drink and finding it gone and not replaced, or a less than acceptable portion remaining. Which jerk was responsible for it???!! Oh wait… I live alone.
- Cracked book spines. It hurts me inside.
- People who discriminate and hate other human beings for no good reason. If you are reading this and you are a bigot, racist, sexist or a homophobe your reasons for holding such beliefs and perpetuating them are empty excuses as far as I’m concerned.
- People who think they’re better than others. If you think so, you probably are not.
- Fingerprints. On CD’s, DVD’s, touch screens… it brings out a primal response in me.
- Spitting. Expectorating publicly is not only disgusting, it is also a legitimate offence. But more than that, it is disgusting. Did I mention how disgusting it is?
- Slack jaws. Literally. It makes me tense and annoyed for absolutely no justifiable reason when talking to someone with their mouth hanging open the entire duration, with no medical or physical reason compelling them to do so.
- People who put dishes into the sink while I’m doing dishes. I cannot stand having multiple dishes hidden under the bubbly water for some reason. Plus if there is a knife hidden in the water I am sure to cut myself on it. And if I have to wash dishes, I do it methodically, one dish at a time, all arranged in order of size and initial cleanliness first. And they must all be stacked orderly on the counter beside me. There is nothing worse than polishing a pretty crystal glass and having someone drop their plate covered in bits of leftover food particles and grease and condiments in behind you. Ew.
- Text language. “How r u” “Gr8”, “kk”, etc. It’s lazy, it only saves a fraction of a second of your time (or perhaps takes even longer than the original term/word would have), and is resulting in a society of people with only the most basic comprehension and ability in spelling, grammar and overall literacy. It’s also cold. A “How ru” I will sometimes bypass (depending on sender) knowing it’s a cold call that has been sent to me and that person’s other 20 closest friends. A “How are you Mandy” is much warmer, thoughtful and more personable.
- People who don’t pump their own gas. I should qualify this. People who routinely do not, or refuse altogether to pump their own gas. I know full serve stations exist for a reason, but often the attendants are young kids who have not yet the skills to work elsewhere, or who have conflicting school/extracurricular schedules. Anytime I see someone I know who is driving a luxury vehicle, who has been sitting inside during winter warm and comfortable all day, making a more than reasonable income pulling up to the tank and letting the teenager who has been outside, freezing, catering to others all day for minimum wage perform the one minute task, I am unreasonably annoyed.
- People who complain that there are no acceptable jobs out there and therefore refuse to work. So one doesn’t pay or give you the hours you think you deserve – you work two then. I’ve worked up to four at once. Maybe you aren’t offered the position title you think you’re deserving of, so you refuse to work. Sometimes you may luck out and get management right away, but the majority of people in superior positions worked their way up from the bottom. If you can walk and/or talk and have no serious illnesses preventing you from being able to do so, you can work. Decent people won’t judge you for working maintenance to make ends meet, but will for you thinking you’re above it. Suck it up.
- When people I know don’t have allergies but pretend they do to get their own way. I have known 4 people to do this, off the top of my head. When your little white lie causes extra work for others, deprives someone else of a comfort or luxury, creates rules for others to follow to accommodate your
allergypreference, causes additional expense, or precludes others from getting to enjoy something, it’s a little lowbrow, don’t you think? (If you do have allergies though, complain away – we all have the right to feel comfortable and safe wherever we are.)
- Women calling each other ‘bitches’ as a term of endearment (this also includes slut/s and whore/s). It’s not funny or cute. I refuse to respond to anyone who addresses me as such.
- Stores that are only open Monday through Friday, during business hours. So when are us working stiffs supposed to shop then?
Bonus – Getting compliments on my ‘ombre’ hair. It’s not ombre, those are roots d@mn it! They were earned through months of my time, loads of neglect and lack of care, not bought and paid for!